Monday, June 22, 2015

Dudes, Duds, and Dads (part one)

2 Samuel 18:33

All of us who are trying to be a dad are tempted from time to time to be a dude.  It’s inviting to leave behind the priorities of family and home to pursue life in the fast lane.  King David tried to live that kind of life and it didn’t work out too well for him.  In 2 Samuel 18:33 he cries, “O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom…Would to God I had died for thee. O Absalom, my son, my son!” 

While I’d like to believe those were words of remorse, I am inclined to believe they are more likely words of regret.  David had gotten too big for his britches.  He was so busy building his future that he neglected his family.  He was more concerned about his reputation as a king than he was his relationship with his kids. 


David compromised.  He should have been more of a dad and less of a dude.  His life was marked by inconsistency.  His neglect of his home was just one of many areas of weakness.  Dad…love your family and protect your children.  Other than your walk with God, there is nothing greater you can do.  M

No comments:

Post a Comment