Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Thanks For The Acorn

1 Thessalonians 5:24

I was listening to Dr. Kevin Elko recently.  He said, "If you’re praying for an oak tree God may give you an acorn.  

But most of us don't want the acorn.  We want the tree.  We're impatient.  Growing an oak takes a few years.  

And if you've ever cut an oak tree for firewood, you've probably counted the rings in the stump.  Those rings represent years.  They tell of storms the tree endured.  Droughts it survived.  Winds the tree withstood.  

Having a mighty oak in your front yard will take some time.  Becoming an oak means you must be strong in the midst of storms.

Billy Graham is an oak but he was once an acorn.  You can't grow an oak overnight.

The acorn is the seed.  What you do with the seed is up to you.  Its up to you (me) to plant the seed…water the seed…care for it...and then nurture the young oak… and watch it grow for the rest of your life.  And one day you'll enjoy sitting in its shade.  Your children and grandchildren will enjoy its shade…  But it begins with you.  

What will I do with what God has given me?  I could have the acorn framed and hang it on my wall proudly displaying what God gave me…. Or I can plant it.  

I don't blame you for praying for oaks...even praying to "be" an oak.  But today - Thank God for the acorn.  

Faithful is He who called you...  He will finish His work in you.  Be patient.  MM

No comments:

Post a Comment