Saturday, February 13, 2016

Guatever

Philippians 1:3  I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

I like the way the NIV translates that verse: " I thank God every time I remember you..."  I just spent two weeks in Guatemala.  I was a part of two mission teams who built houses, did medical and dental, and did our best to love and learn from the good people of Guatemala.  It was wonderful.  As much good as we may have done for them, I left a richer man.  The Guatemalans that I have gotten to know are, honestly, some of the best people on the face of the earth.  Our only barrier is language.  They have a heart for God.  They are trusting and optimistic.  No pretense.  Genuine, loving, sincere, and generous... simply good people.  

Lazaro Surey and his wife Glendie and their children Josh and Marsha have become some of my favorite people in Guatemala.  Lazaro is a pastor, a minister to the hungry and homeless, and works with Grace Ministries feeding and ministering to over 75 children at the Dream Center.  Lazaro and his family amaze me at their commitment to God and their level of hard work.  Like most Guatemalans, they were not born into riches.  But their lives have been transformed by the grace of God.  They in blessed in so many ways and are eager to share their blessings with others.  I'm glad I know them.  

I went to Guatemala with Grace Ministries out of Friendship Baptist in Grand Bay, Alabama. The teams that I served with were made up of folks from Alabama, Michigan, Mississippi, Arizona, and maybe a couple other states I can't recall now.  I worked with Lazaro and his family at the Dream Center most days.  I served as the Team Pastor for both weeks.  I preached nineteen times in fourteen days.  I'd go back next week if possible.

I will be back this fall in either El Salvador or Guatemala...or both to help lead Pastors Conferences.  These are also made available through Grace Ministries.  My heart has been warmed toward the people of Guatemala.  I see myself being more involved in the years to come.  The fields are white unto harvest.  

For those who help provide the finances for me to go, thank you.  I am a better man for having spent two brief weeks of my life in El Tejar, Guatemala.  


On another note...I was beyond blessed this past Thursday night to arrive at the Huntsville Airport and be welcomed by my family.  I had so many friends praying for me while I was gone.  But I so missed my family.  Crystal and I are not perfect, but with the help of God we created two really good kids - Alyssa and Garrett.  It was good to be in Guatemala and I look forward to going back.  But today - It's good to be home.   MM

1 comment:

  1. It was a blessing to have you there and provide us with God's word every morning. God spoke through you and lifted our group up so we could do His work for the amazing people of Guatemala. Till next year....

    ReplyDelete