Monday, April 20, 2015

Driven To God

Just this past Sunday morning I heard Charles Stanley say something I have not been able to forget.  He said, "Whatever drives me to God is good."  My initial thought was, "Really?"  Whatever means anything...anything hurtful, anything painful, anything dreadful.  Anything?  Whatever?

Dr. Stanley didn't suggest that I'd enjoy whatever it is that drives me to God...he just said, it would be good.  I immediately began to think about people who had turned to God in the midst of a terrible sickness.  I thought of parents that turned to God when their child was battling drug addiction.  I thought about bad situations that caused people to turn to God.  While I don't like what Dr. Stanley said, I agree with him.

Let's ask the Apostle Paul.  He had a "thorn in the flesh" that he believed God allowed him to have for his own good.  Listen, "And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."  2 Corinthians 12:7–10 (NKJV)

What about you?  Have you had something happen to you that has driven you to God?  Have you experienced some type of suffering, like Paul, that God did not remove, heal, or change?  ...But, in the end, even though God didn't intervene like you had prayed, the circumstance had driven you to God?

Call it sifting.  Call it pruning.  Call it the refiners fire.  God allows us to go through dark days and troublesome times for a purpose.  You may not understand why for weeks or months or years.  Hold on.  Stay strong.  Believe God.  Don't ask "Why?"  Instead ask, "What?"  What do you need to learn? 

Maybe you feel like your life is taking a train-ride through a tunnel.  A never ending tunnel.  Keep believing.  Keep trusting.  Soon you'll come out of the darkness and you'll know God in a way you never have before.  ...And that will be "good."  "Whatever drives you to God is good."

Be faithful because He is faithful.  M    

No comments:

Post a Comment