Monday, March 16, 2015

Empty


Ephesians 3:19 “…to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.”

That’s what I need.  It’s what I desire even though I’m not completely sure all that it means.  I want to be filled with all the fullness of God.  I want to know Him, walk with Him, talk with Him, fellowship with Him, experience Him in all aspects of my life.  That may a dangerous prayer.  Job was filled with all the fullness of God it seems…but only after he was emptied, depleted, and left with almost nothing. 

Several years ago while coming home from a revival meeting, on a dark highway, in the middle of nowhere…we ran out of gas.  Yep…dummy me forgot to fill up before we left the great state of Mississippi, and now we were about five miles outside of Double Springs, Alabama running on empty.  I said to Crystal, “We’re going to run out of gas…”  She said, “You’ve got to be kidding…”  I wasn’t.  We were able to pull into a church parking lot as we sputtered to a stop.  We called 911 and told them our predicament.  Within a few minutes a Double Springs policeman and a local farmer pulled up with a five-gallon can of gas.  We were told we didn’t owe them anything… “just drive into town pay for the gas when you fill up.”  That’s what we did. 

In a matter of minutes the fuel tank on our Dodge Grand Caravan was filled to fullness.  Me, Crystal, Alyssa, and Garrett were safely on our way home with a full tank of gas and bag of chicken fingers from the BP.  And three jalapeno shrimp that wish I could forget. 


Empty….Filled.  Filled to fullness.  What does that mean for believers?  I’m not sure. But it certainly has something to do with experiencing His grace, walking in His Spirit, and trusting in His provision.  If you’re empty or running a little low, why not pray this prayer with me…  “Dear God, I’m struggling today.  I need your touch.  I need your grace.  Lord, fill my mind with your thoughts.  Fill my mouth with your words.  Fill my heart with your love.  Fill my eyes with your beauty.  Fill my ears with your truth.  Fill me with your Spirit.  May I be filled with all the fullness of God.  In Jesus name, Amen.”  M

1 comment:

  1. Thank You! It was just what I needed to hear this morning. The prayer was perfect.

    ReplyDelete