Tuesday, October 27, 2015

778-8874

For as long as my mother and dad have had a phone, their number has been 778-8874.  That number was disconnected this week.  Mother went to Heaven a few years ago and Dad is now in assisted living in Tuscumbia. 

That disconnecting is sad for me.  It’s a number I have had memorized since I was a boy in grade school.  It’s the number I called when I was sick, in trouble, happy, sad, heart-broken, thrilled…

778-8874…It’s the number my High School principal called after our regular visits.  It’s the number the neighbors called when I had been a part of rolling their yard, doing a donut in their yard, driving too fast, or living too loud. 

It’s the number I called when I needed to talk to Mother about what medicine I should take for a cold.  I called that number to ask Dad how to install a plug or fix a faucet.  I called that number the morning we were at the hospital waiting for Alyssa to be born…and again when we were waiting for Garrett to join us. 

It’s the number I dialed the morning Mother was in critical condition in Huntsville Hospital.  I called Dad and told him I’d be there to get him in a few minutes.  We both knew - but we anxiously made the trip anyway, hoping our gut feelings were wrong.  We were right.  She was gone. 

Since then I have been calling that number talking to Dad and wishing I could, one more time, talk to Mother. 


I still have it saved in my phone among the “favorites.”  I doubt I’ll remove it anytime soon.  There are too many good memories connected with that simple number…778-8874. 

If your mother and dad are still living, call them today. While you can.  M

No comments:

Post a Comment