Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cowboy Boots and a Bible

Cowboy Boots and a Bible
Zechariah 13:1-7

Beware of false prophets pretending to be cowboys. Judgment had come and the false prophets lied about their lifestyle and hid behind a pair of cowboy boots. They said, “We’re not prophets, we’re cattle farmers.” They did it to save their neck.

Beware of false prophets who parade as movie stars...recording artists…and politicians. Just because he wears a pair of boots doesn’t mean he’s a cowboy....and just because he carries a Bible doesn’t mean he’s a believer.

I would never make it as a cowboy. First of all I don’t wear hats. When I put on a hat I look like a cross between Hoss Cartwright and The Urban Cowboy. Second, I don’t wear boots. I have two pair, but when I wear them I may look kinda like John Wayne but I walk kinda like Fred Sanford. Third, me and horses have never really gotten along. The first horse I ever rode took off running and didn’t stop for 30 minutes. I hung on for dear life. I’ve been bit and bucked...so I just keep my distance. ...However, I did ride a cow one time. Me and my friend Marty Turney decided one day to ride some of his dad’s cows. Needless to say it was a mooooving experience.

The old story in Zechariah is one of wolves among sheep and of tares among the wheat. Too often, believers blend in with the world, but in this passage we see the world blending in with the church. Liars were blending in with lovers of God. Deceivers were blending in with believers. False prophets were blending in with the Prophets of God.

....Matthew 7:15-16 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.”

Cattle farmers might be marked by a herd, and horse, and a hat...but false teachers will always be marked by the Devil, dishonesty, and deception.....

Jesus’ message is very clear.....
~The truth sets men free. False teaching takes men captive.
~The truth brings peace. False teaching creates confusion.
~The truth saves your soul. False teaching will cause you to lose your soul.

Jesus was not a cowboy.

He was a shepherd.

He gave His life for the sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment