Thursday, August 20, 2009

Life For Losers

Cash for Clunkers is about over, thank goodness. Word is, the program is running out of money. I have a clunker and seriously considered trading, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I guess I am a little too attached to my 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, with close to 150K miles. I remember when I first got it. I said to myself, "I'll drive this 'till it falls apart." I'm pretty sure "falling apart" will be sooner than later, but I still can't bear to let her go.

I have had the Explorer for four years. I remember the first nite I parked her in the garage, I went out, sat in the front seat listening to what I believed had to be the best stereo I had ever heard in a vehicle. I thought, "this is what I have always wanted." Now, the government has the audacity to offer me about $4000 if I will trade her in on some boring, four cylinder sardine can with wheels. I ain't doing it. I hear they'll take my explorer out back of the dealership and put her out of her misery. I really can't imagine doing that. We've been on too many revival trips together. She's brought me home safely past midnight more times than I can count. She's never left me stranded. Never broke down on the side of the road. The only problem...she has a drinking problem. She's a gas guzzler. Minor problem for such a great ride.

Jesus offers a similar plan for anyone who will believe he died for their sins. I call it "Life for Losers." Salvation for Sinners... Grace for Guilty...etc. John 3:17 makes his plan pretty clear. God did not send Jesus into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved. Wow. That's a pretty good deal. Paul says, "Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." I was a sinner and Jesus gave me salvation. I was guilty of rejecting God, yet he gave me grace. I was a loser, well on my way to losing my soul, but Jesus gave me life. The Government program will come to an end...it will eventually run out of money. But, God's salvation plan will never end. He will never run out of mercy. Jesus went to the cross to guarantee the free gift of salvation to all who will believe. That's life for a loser. Think about it.
MM

No comments:

Post a Comment