Sunday, March 15, 2009

Billboard on the Beltline

Friends,
There's a billboard on the beltline highway near our church that's getting a lot of attention. The beltline is highway 67 that runs right through the middle of Decatur, Alabama. There is bumper to bumper traffic everyday. It's that busy. It's a great place to advertise your church or business. Several local churches have done just that.

One church has gone to the extremes to get our attention. Beside the name and location of the church is this advertisement: "The real 'f' word..." I have been saved and preaching the gospel for almost 27 years. I strive to have a pure heart and mind. I try to focus on the positive. But I have to tell you, when I read that billboard there was only one "f" word that came to mind, and it wasn't forgiveness.

Is it OK for churches to use crude references, offensive suggestions, and sexually explicit ideas to convey our message of Jesus and the cross? We might ask, WWPS....What Would Paul Say? I don't know for sure. I think, however, Paul had other things in mind when he referenced becoming all things to all men that he might win some. Would he endorse using suggestive language?

This type of advertising has become popular among churches today. Why? In many circles, its called marketing. I believe it comes down to sacrificing values to draw a larger crowd. One local church is promoting a sermon series called, "Good sex God's way." That will surely draw a crowd, but will it change anyone's life?

I simply believe we can do better. We have the opportunity each Sunday to preach a a message that will literally change lives. I have no problem with seeking to have a larger crowd to preach to. If we just want to draw a crowd, then we can preach a message about Good sex God's way, The "f" Word, and other extreme topics. But, if we want to see lives changed, we had better preach the cross and point people to Jesus. I may be labeled out of touch by the critics. I may be considered irrelevant by the latest church growth gurus. But I think I'll preach the cross. The preaching of the cross has always seemed foolish to the world. But it's the only message that saves.

Yes, I realize the real "f" word is forgiveness. I realize what the church down the road is trying to do. I realize they are trying to reach a crowd that most traditional churches will never reach. I can appreciate their motives. I have visited their website and agree with most of the core beliefs they hold to. I could have lunch with the pastor and enjoy myself. But the billboard is too much.

I don't have all the answers...I have not arrived...But this one thing I know. The "j" word is the only word that will save a lost soul, help a troubled life, heal a broken marriage, and bring home a prodigal son. The "j" word is Jesus. He said, "If I be lifted up I will draw all men unto me."
Michael

Michael Mason Ministries: Preaching Dates
March 30-April 1 New Center Baptist, Moulton, Al. 7pm each nite
March 30 Muscle Shoals Pastor's Conference, Moulton, Al., 10 am
April 3-4 First Baptist, Bay Minette, Al., Marriage Wknd.
May 3-6 First Baptist, Rogersville, Al., Revival

No comments:

Post a Comment