Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Thank God For Grace

John 18:18
Peter doesn’t get a free pass on his campfire compromise.  And neither do we.  I’m not attempting to criticize Peter for his cowardice.  Nor am I trying to make anyone feel shame for such surrender to the Enemy’s lies.  But I feel compelled to state emphatically that Peter, who has known the Lord, walked with the Lord, and trusted the Lord, does not get a free pass.  

It’s not OK.  It’s unacceptable.  It is a big deal.  Why?  Because all eyes are on Peter.  How will he respond?  What will he do?  What will he say?  He’s God’s man.  He’s been out front and outspoken.  He left his boats and nets to follow the Lord.  He’s been on the Mount of Transfiguration.  He’s been an eyewitness of the Lord’s majesty.  It matters how he responds.  It matters what he says.  


Of course there’s forgiveness, but if  I underestimate the fault while looking to the forgiveness, I miss a valuable lesson in this story.  What I cannot miss seeing is the power of sin and the power of grace.  It seems popular today to talk more about forgiveness than fault.  But I will never fully appreciate forgiveness until I am willing to completely admit my faults, failures, and my disregard for Christ and His will.  

Yes, we know the rest of the story.  Thank God we do, because it serves as caution light for any of us who want to run to forgiveness without admitting our need for it.  Sin is much more powerful and destructive than I can ever imagine.  And, thankfully, grace is more powerful and sufficient than I can ever express.  Peter wept bitterly.  I’d like to suggest that none of us will ever know God as we could without some serious weeping over our sin.  Sin and its consequences are far more serious than most of us want to admit.  Thank God for grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment