Monday, March 28, 2016

Agreeing With God

1 John 1:9

It's been a while since I got caught doing something I shouldn't have been doing.  But I remember how it felt.  I remember Mother talking to me in no uncertain terms.  I remember being told to go wait in my bedroom till Daddy got home.  That was the worst wait, knowing judgment was coming in the form of a tired father who had worked all day and was coming home to a boy who got caught.

Whether it was at home waiting on my dad, or at school waiting on the principal, confessing never came easy for me.  I've never enjoyed admitting I was wrong.  That it was my fault.

Took me a while but I learned, as a much older person, that confession is a way of cleansing the soul. After I get over the embarrassment of getting caught and the humiliation of being talked to and the frustration of knowing what I should have done so I wouldn't have gotten caught... Confession actually felt good.  At least it was out in the open.  I did it.  I admitted it.  Now move on.

As a believer in Christ, confession has taken on more and deeper meanings.  Confession is a way of agreeing with God.  It's telling God what he already knows.  It's responding to conviction.  It's a pathway to freedom.  It's a step toward repenting.  It's recognizing God's opinion and agreeing with Him.  ...I seldom enjoy discovering God's opinion about my sin, my pride, my reckless decisions.  I seldom am quick to agree with Him.

But when I do, there is immediate peace.

If I will confess my sin, God is faithful to forgive me and cleanse me.  If I will confess my sin.  If I will tell God what He already knows.  If I will agree with God.  MM

No comments:

Post a Comment