Friday, January 22, 2016

Eating An Elephant

Matthew 18:21-22  Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”  Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

How long does it take to eat an elephant?  Could take a while…weeks, maybe months.  But the only way to do it is one bite at a time.

How long does it take to forgive someone?  Could take a while…weeks, months, maybe years.  Sometimes, the only way to completely forgive someone is a little at a time. 

Have you ever been so hurt that you found it hard to forgive?  Has someone ever hurt you, your child, your wife or husband or friend in such a way that you couldn’t forgive? …A country song says, “Forgiving you was easy but forgetting seems to take the longest time…”  While that makes for a good country song, forgiveness isn’t easy – and forgetting is next to impossible.

A local long distance runner was interviewed some time ago.  He was asked how he could run so many miles.  He replied simply, “One step at a time.”

When I was very young in the ministry I remember well a man who said some hurtful things to me.  I was a kid, stumbling through my sermons, trying to find my way.  What he said hurt.  I forgave him.  But I find myself, some thirty years later, still forgiving him.  Because it still hurts.

Got someone in your past that you’ve never completely forgiven?  Join the club.  70 X 7 is 490 times.  Wow – that’s more forgiveness than many of us may be willing to extend.  I think Jesus was pointing us to ongoing, continual, extended forgiveness.  In other words, keep on forgiving.


I encourage you today to take a step in the direction of forgiveness.  Take a bite out of the elephant.  The person you are forgiving may never know.  But you will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment