Sunday, May 31, 2009

Old Enough

Hey Folks,
My mother went to Heaven almost three years ago. She and my dad were married in 1955. They drove to Iuka, Mississippi...got married...drove back to Decatur, Alabama...spent the night in the "Nite-Fall" motel...then spent the next almost 51 years together as husband and wife.

My dad keeps a picture of he and mother together, on the table beside his chair. He says he talks to her about alot of things. My dad is not on the verge of insanity, he just misses mother.

He has had several opportunities since mother died to have a girlfriend. He says he's not interested. In fact, he told us the day mother died, that he would never marry again. He said, "once you've had the best, anyone else would be a disappointment." Then he said, "I've had the best."

He has had so many good things to say about how he misses mother, I should be writing all of them down. Here's the most recent. Last weekend he was at our home for supper. We were talking about one of his friend's ex-wife. He said, "I don't have any ex-wives. I have only one wife and I'm going to see her when I get old enough." Daddy is 78.

If I can be half the man my dad has been, I'll be alright. I don't know when dad will be old enough to go see mother. All I know is I have been blessed to have had a father and mother who loved me and my sister...and each other. I am blessed.

Have a good one. Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment